Grammar Ghoul Writing Challenge #1 is Open for Submissions!

October 3, 2014

Good morning!

This week’s challenge is now open for submissions. So, if you’ve already written something, go ahead and link it up at the bottom of this page. If you haven’t written anything yet, don’t worry — you have until Monday at noon to link up your post. The prompts and the rules are below, just in case you haven’t seen them yet.

Once you’ve linked up your submission, remember to read and comment on your fellow bloggers’ submissions. Oh, and if you’re looking for feedback or constructive criticism on any of your writing, there is a forum for that in the Ghouls’ Lair.

If challenges aren’t your thing, we are currently accepting submissions for the first edition of The Ghouls’ Review. Along with fiction and poetry, we are also looking for visual art, so be sure to spread the word to all your artistic friends!

The spookier the better

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that ghouls enjoy the spooky things in life. And given that October is the spookiest month of all, we’re encouraging you to celebrate by letting your creepiest muse out of whatever closet/box/dungeon you’ve locked it in. It’s not mandatory, but it sure would make the ghouls happy.

Prompts

Here are this week’s prompts. Remember, you must use the definition we’ve given for the word prompt — and you must incorporate the visual prompt into your piece in some way.

Haunt (noun):
A place frequented by a specified person.
(Oxford dictionary)

Sign to Nowhere

Rules

•    •    Challenge submissions must be fiction or poetry.
  •    •    Submissions must be 750 words or less.
  •    •    Submissions must use the prompts as specified.
  •    •    Submissions should be written in response to the challenge, so shouldn’t pre-date the kickoff post.
  •    •    One submission per person.
  •    •    Please put lengthy explanations at the end of your post, not at the beginning.
  •    •    Don’t forget to add the code for the challenge badge to your post (under the badge in the sidebar).
  •    •    And don’t forget to have fun!

Tell all your friends
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

You Might Also Like

• TNKerr October 3, 2014 at 10:32 am

Hi Suzanne – I figured I would like to be the one to break the ice.
    Best of luck to you here. I know this will be successful.

• Suzanne Purkis October 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm

That’s excellent, Thom! Thank you. I’m looking forward to reading your submission! 🙂

• Susan October 3, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I hope I linked up properly. Thanks again for the new challenge!! Have a great weekend.

• Suzanne Purkis October 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Looks like you did. You’re very welcome – thanks for participating! 🙂

• JannaTWrites October 3, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Hi, Suzanne. Had a bit of trouble with the link up – I get an error that I don’t have the backlink but when I click the badge it goes to the open post so I have no idea what I did wrong. If you see my error can you let me know so I can fix it? 🙂

• Suzanne Purkis October 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hi Janna. I let your post out of moderation, so it’s showing up now. It looks like Inlinkz was being picky about a missing “/” – I’ve fixed that on the Inlinkz side, so it shouldn’t be a problem in the future. Can’t wait to read your post!

• JannaTWrites October 3, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Thanks, Suzanne. Should’ve known it was a goofed copy/paste. That never happens to me 🙂

• Splendid Empress October 6, 2014 at 11:43 am

Hi Suzanne,

I’ve just spent half an hour trying in vain to get the grammar ghoul badge to show up on my post. I know t’s just copy and paste the code but for some reason I can’t make it work. I’ve tried half a dozen times and done things like refreshed my post in between, refreshed this page in between…… Nothing. I’m sorry but I’m out of ideas.

I think it’s ghosts………….

• Suzanne Purkis October 6, 2014 at 11:45 am

You’re probably right about the ghostsI Either way, it’s showing up in the Inlinkz, so you’re all good.

And thanks for joining our inaugural challenge! Can’t wait to read your post! 🙂

• dreamergirl October 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I’ve had the same problem with the grammar ghoul badge…. I’ve tried refreshing and re-copying and pasting, too….