WE-HELL-COME BACK, GHOUL FRIENDS!!
This is the one and only Shapeshifting 13!
What a wild and crazy week we’ve had! I am sure you all have some amazing stories to share, but let’s save that for our Lair! hehe
I cannot wait to see what you crazy ghouls have in store for us this week!
Before we jump into our challenge this week, let’s talk about a few things.
- Voting for the Mutant 750 Challenge #47 begins immediately, so take a moment to peruse the submissions and vote for your three favorites. Voting ends on Saturday at 11pm ET.
- Our first-ever Fall Short Story Contest is currently accepting submissions through Friday, September 13th at Midnight, Eastern Time. You are all such fabulous and fascinating storytellers, so I know you’ve got something to submit to this contest. The winner will receive $100 and be published in our fall issue of The Ghoul’s Review. Who wouldn’t love that?!
Alright, let’s do this thang!
Last week for THE SHAPESHIFTING 13 challenge, you were tasked with creating a story or poem in just 26 words. This week, in exactly 39 words, your challenge is to write a story or poem using and inspired by any definition/form of the following words:
“Trenchant” & “Trace”
1 : keen, sharp
2 : vigorously effective and articulate <a trenchant analysis>; also : caustic <trenchant remarks>
3 a : sharply perceptive : penetrating <a trenchant view of current conditions>
b : clear-cut, distinct <the trenchant divisions between right and wrong — Edith Wharton>
— tren·chant·ly adverb
1 archaic : a course or path that one follows
2 a : a mark or line left by something that has passed; also : footprint
b : a path, trail, or road made by the passage of animals, people, or vehicles
3 a : a sign or evidence of some past thing : vestige
b : engram
4 : something (as a line) traced or drawn: as
a : the marking made by a recording instrument (as a seismograph or kymograph)
b : the ground plan of a military installation or position either on a map or on the ground
5 a : the intersection of a line or plane with a plane
b : the usually bright line or spot that moves across the screen of a cathode-ray tube; also : the path taken by such a line or spot
6 a : a minute and often barely detectable amount or indication <a trace of a smile>
b : an amount of a chemical constituent not always quantitatively determinable because of minuteness
- Challenge submissions must be fiction or poetry.
- Submissions must be exactly the number of words specified; no more, no less.
- Submissions must use the prompt as directed.
- Submissions should be written in response to the challenge, so they shouldn’t pre-date the kickoff post.
- One submission per person.
- Please put lengthy explanations at the end of your post, not at the beginning.
- Don’t forget to add the code for the challenge badge to your post.
Now, while your brewing that wonderful story, don’t forget to grab the Shapeshifting 13 #15 badge from the right side of the page, and insert it into your post. Remember, you have until Sunday @ 8pm Eastern Time to submit something. Have fun!
SHARE THE GEEKDOM!