Shapeshifting 13 #51 Kickoff

April 27, 2016

Hello, Ghoul Friends!

I hope you all are having a wicked Wednesday already! This week is halfway over, and it’s time for a new challenge! But, before we get to this week’s challenge, let’s continue our conversations about inspiration. That was a little too quiet, let’s try that again:

Inspiration!!!

That’s better. Inspiration can come from many places. Yes, we focus on prompts here to garner inspiration, but that’s more about prompting a story. Inspiration, though, has more of an impact on us than just our writing. We often look up to different people who have accomplished, for lack of a better word, fame, whether they are authors, artists, singers, or film stars. It’s always amazing to see how these people inspire us. But, it’s when we lose these people–these fame monsters we may have never met but truly loved–that we understand just how much of an impact that had on us. I go through periods where I devour my favorite artists and nothing else. Lately, I’ve been listening to alot of Florence + the Machine. Florence Welch’s look, sound, lyrics and voice envelope me and move me, and I’ve found that their music fully inspires a lot of my creativity when I listen to them. This is true for many of us. We fall in love with something and we find it seeping into our own creative outputs without us realizing it and intending it to. This brings us to our discussion this week: Is there a particularly person–artist, author, singer, etc.–that you look up to and that you find has inspired you in your life, even if it’s not particularly in your writing? Let’s discuss!

Before we get to our new challenge series, here are a few important reminders:

• On the last Friday of each month, we will celebrate a fellow writer here at Grammar Ghoul Press, in a new segment we’re calling “Celebrating the Ghouls”! If you’re interested in being a part of this new project, please email tony@grammarghoulpress.com.Check out past celebrations here.
  • Our Lair is currently taking a hiatus, as is our Mutant 750 challenge. Should either one open up, we’ll announce it here!
  • This Friday, we have a new Celebrating the Ghouls post that will be going live! Keep a Ghoulish eye out!
  • The Shapeshifting 13 goes live every Wednesday at Noon ET. The grid will stay open until Sunday at 8:00 p.m., after which voting will open. Voting ends on Monday at 8:00 p.m., so you get about 24 hours to read and vote for your favorites pieces. Winners will be announced in a separate post on Tuesday at Noon ET. Further details can be found here.

Ghouls on Rainbows!

Each week, you will be provided a visual prompt. The visual prompt may have several colors in it, but we’re focusing on one color at a time. Each week, we will tell you the primary color of the week, and your job is to write a story or poem, abiding by that week’s word count, using/inspired by that color in that image. Sounds easy, right? I assure you, it’s not as easy as it sounds!

As many of you know, the world lost a true artist. So, for this week’s prompt, as it is our last week of this challenge series, we’re skipping the color blue, and moving on to celebrate Prince’s signature color.

Last week for THE SHAPESHIFTING 13 challenge, you were tasked with creating a story or poem in just 26 words. This week, in exactly 39 words, your challenge is to write a story or poem inspired by the following color in the following image:

Color Prompt
PURPLE

The Rules:

•  Challenge submissions must be fiction or poetry.
  •    Submissions must be exactly the number of words specified; no more, no less.
  •    Submissions must use the prompt as directed.
  •    Submissions should be written in response to the challenge, so they shouldn’t pre-date the kickoff post.
  •    One submission per person.
  •    Please put lengthy explanations at the end of your post, not at the beginning.
  •    Don’t forget to add the code for the challenge badge to your post.
  •    When voting, you are on the honor to not vote for your own piece.

Now, while you’re getting ready to post those wonderful words, don’t forget to grab the Shapeshifting 13 #51 badge from the right side of the page, and insert it into your post. Remember, you have until Sunday @ 8pm Eastern Time to submit something. Have fun!

SHARE THE GEEKDOM!

Tell all your friends
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

You Might Also Like

• LRose April 27, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Not famous, but he wants to be. He thinks: I follow a blog by a young and very angry young man. He’s rude. He’s crude. But he’s one of the more spiritual people I’ve read. And, wow. Can this guy write! I’m envious of his talent and my admiration spurs me on.
    Famous artists? Let me count the ways…

• Tony Lovell May 1, 2016 at 12:32 pm

That sounds interesting! Do you feel comfortable sharing his website with all of us? If not, I would love to read it, so feel free to email it to me at malovell024@gmail.com

• TNKerr April 30, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Colours? Did you do this Rainbow series for me?

• Tony Lovell May 1, 2016 at 12:32 pm

HEHE I’m not going to lie–the idea did come to me after our interview! 😉

• Jacqueline Casey May 1, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Tony, Am unable to attach my pieces. Purchased McAfee and now they tell me would be dangerous to enter grammarghoul site! I am not getting your weekly reminder to vote and when I try to log on, there are only the boxes but no hearts on the boxes so I am not allowed to vote. Maybe you have suggestion for me. I do not have a virus. Thanks. Jackie

• Tony Lovell May 1, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Good morning, Miss Jackie!
      I’ve responded to this concern via email with a request for images along with instructions. Please review this email and let me know if you need any more assistance. I certainly hope that we can resolve this issue for you as quickly, and as permanently, as possible!

Thanks!
      Tony

• Leara Morris-Clark May 2, 2016 at 6:48 am

The grid doesn’t actually seem to be open for voting…

• Tony Lovell May 2, 2016 at 7:17 am

Thank you for letting me know! This issue has been resolved.

• Leara Morris-Clark May 2, 2016 at 7:24 am

Yay! Time to vote! 🙂

• Leara Morris-Clark May 2, 2016 at 1:19 pm

So hey, when I vote and then share the link, it seems to hold the votes that I made. People are clicking through and not having an opportunity to vote because mine are already there. I have had them clear cache and try different browsers, etc., to no avail. Any suggestions?

• Tony Lovell May 2, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I’ve never heard of it doing that, mostly because the votes should follow the IP address, but the only thing I can figure is that it’s due to the URL itself. When you vote or modify something on a page, the URL changes–it becomes personalized, that’s the only way I can think to put it. When you vote, it probably modified the URL a bit. If you have people simply go to http://www.grammarghoulpress.com/shapeshifting-13-51-kickoff, it should bring them directly to this page without the votes. Try copying that URL instead, and let’s see if that works for you. If not, they can click on the badge in your post and be directed here, as well. That’s the only things I can think of off the top of my head.

• you before me May 4, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Hey there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of
    the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think
    its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

• Tony Lovell May 6, 2016 at 9:45 am

Gmail would not allow me to email you directly, advising that the email address was invalid.

Thank you for contacting me about this issue, but I’m a little confused. Are you saying that the images of the submissions on our #51 Kickoff post aren’t showing up, or the images when you try to submit?

The post that you commented on was last week’s kickoff post, which is currently closed to submissions. In regards to a linking issue, if that’s on our #52 Kickoff post, with the issue occurring in Inlinkz, then I can manually upload your submission if you provide me with the URL.

We want to make sure that we handle this issue for you promptly, so any additional information will be greatly helpful!

Thank you, and have a great day!