May the FOURTH be with you, Ghoul Friends!
While our latest challenge series was an absolute and joyous success, this week we are back into the normal swing of things! And this week, I’m bring you:
A word prompt!
I love visual prompts, but we’ve had plenty of those the last few weeks. Let’s kick it back into overdrive with a word prompt (or two)–and this week the prompts are inspired by one of my favorite series: STAR WARS.
Now, I don’t know about you, but I find an immense joy in life and the universe when things line up perfectly. When I’m driving, I listen to music, and when I hit a bump in the road right when a strong beat hits in the song, I can’t help but smile! This week is no different. I mean, it’s our 52nd Shapeshifting 13, and our word count is 52 words! On top of that, our kickoff goes live on May 4th–STAR WARS DAY! That is like a Wookie flavored kiss from the universe!
Alright, stop laughing! I know I’m eccentric–I like to call it “quirky”. But, c’est la vie–I am who I am and I love what I love! And I think that is an important trait, especially when it comes to writing–staying true to who we are! Our writing, whether we like it or not, whether we realize it or not, whether we want it to or not, reflects who we are. From the way we talk to the way we present ourselves, even when we try to modify it, our writing often illuminates facets of ourselves that we show more often than not. We may try to bury this, but it always finds a way of popping back up, rearing its head when we least expect it–or, rather, when we feel most comfortable and fluid while writing. Maybe it’s the way a particular character speaks, or the look of a particular character–maybe it’s the way the words flow on the page, or use of particular words–but we often shine through our own writing. Let’s discuss this idea: First, do you agree with these statements? Secondly, have you witnessed yourself shining through your writing, or has someone close to you pointed this out? What was your reaction?
Before we get to our new challenge series, here are a few important reminders:
- On the last Friday of each month, we will celebrate a fellow writer here at Grammar Ghoul Press, in a new segment we’re calling “Celebrating the Ghouls”! If you’re interested in being a part of this new project, please email email@example.com.Check out past celebrations here.
- Don’t forget to check out our latest Celebrating the Ghouls post, where we celebrate Paz Spera.
- Our Lair is currently taking a hiatus, as is our Mutant 750 challenge. Should either one open up, we’ll announce it here!
- The Shapeshifting 13 goes live every Wednesday at Noon ET. The grid will stay open until Sunday at 8:00 p.m., after which voting will open. Voting ends on Monday at 8:00 p.m., so you get about 24 hours to read and vote for your favorites pieces. Winners will be announced in a separate post on Tuesday at Noon ET. Further details can be found here.
Last week for THE SHAPESHIFTING 13 challenge, you were tasked with creating a story or poem in just 39 words. This week, in exactly 52 words, your challenge is to write a story or poem inspired by and using the following word(s):
“FORCE” & “CORUSCANT”
:physical strength, power, or effect
: power or violence used on a person or thing
: strength or power that is not physical
Definitions courtesy of Merriam-Webster.
Definitions courtesy of Merriam-Webster.
- Challenge submissions must be fiction or poetry.
- Submissions must be exactly the number of words specified; no more, no less.
- Submissions must use the prompt as directed.
- Submissions should be written in response to the challenge, so they shouldn’t pre-date the kickoff post.
- One submission per person.
- Please put lengthy explanations at the end of your post, not at the beginning.
- Don’t forget to add the code for the challenge badge to your post.
- When voting, you are on the honor to not vote for your own piece.
Now, while you’re getting ready to post those wonderful words, don’t forget to grab the Shapeshifting 13 #52 badge from the right side of the page, and insert it into your post. Remember, you have until Sunday @ 8pm Eastern Time to submit something. Have fun!
Until next time, au revoir, and SHARE THE GEEKDOM!