Welcome, Ghoul Friends!
I hope that you are doing well because, today, we are kicking off our
2nd Annual Ghoul Festival Challenge Series!
That’s right! This is a challenge series that celebrates and focuses on different aspects of the season as it changes from summer to autumn, suffocatingly hot and sweaty to wonderfully cool and crisp, from long days to longer nights. Though Halloween is not yet upon us, the feeling around many of us starts to shift dramatically into a darker state–whether you enjoy that or not, I don’t know. For many, this time of year inspires us to write more than any other time of the year. I’m sure there are many reasons for this. However, and I think I’ve talked about this previously, one of the most amazing things that I’ve discovered about my own writing is how much the tone of my piece and the speed at which I write can be influenced by what I hear, namely what music I listen to while I write. I often vary what I listen to while working–sometimes it is melodic rock, such as the Coheed & Cambria playing right now, and, at other times, it’s orchestral music. I find that music has a way of infecting us and shaping how we feel and think in a moment, and this has truly inspired me this time. This year, for our Ghoul Festival, we are going to change our challenges up a bit. Look below for more details about how our new challenge works, but, first, what do you listen to while you try to get the creative juices flowing? Nature? Music? A cacophony of silence barrelling you down like a steam engine? Tell us below, and let’s start a conversation!
Before we get to this week’s prompt, here are a few important reminders:
- On the last Friday of each month, we will celebrate a fellow writer here at Grammar Ghoul Press, in a segment we’re calling “Celebrating the Ghouls”! If you’re interested in being a part of this project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Check out past celebrations here. We have a new Ghoul’s Celebration going live this Friday!
- Our Lair is currently taking a hiatus, as is our Mutant 750 challenge. Should either one open up, we’ll announce it here!
- The Shapeshifting 13 goes live every Wednesday at Noon ET. The grid will stay open until Sunday at 8:00 p.m., after which voting will open. Voting ends on Monday at 8:00 p.m., so you get about 24 hours to read and vote for your favorites pieces. Winners will be announced in a separate post on Tuesday at Noon ET. Further details can be found here.
Last week for THE SHAPESHIFTING 13 challenge, you were tasked with creating a story or poem in just 39 words. This week, in exactly 52 words, your challenge is to write a story or poem inspired by and using the following word(s):
During Ghoul Festival, you will be provided a picture prompt and an audio prompt. The prompts should create an atmosphere for you that (we hope) will elicit some amazingly creative writing that is incredibly diverse. Our Ghoul Festival this year is all about the SOUNDS AND FEELS OF FALL! Let the image and the audio guide you through your imagination. Our suggestion? Plug in some headphones or turn up the speakers, close your eyes, and listen after staring at the picture for a bit, and see where your creative genius leads you!
Last week for THE SHAPESHIFTING 13 challenge, you were tasked with creating a story or poem in just 52 words. This week, in exactly 13 words, your challenge is to write a story or poem inspired by the following prompts:
The General Shapeshifting 13 Rules:
- Challenge submissions must be fiction or poetry.
- Submissions must be exactly the number of words specified; no more, no less.
- Submissions must use the prompt as directed.
- Submissions should be written in response to the challenge, so they shouldn’t pre-date the kickoff post.
- One submission per person.
- Please put lengthy explanations at the end of your post, not at the beginning.
- Don’t forget to add the code for the challenge badge to your post.
- When voting, you are on the honor to not vote for your own piece.
Now, while you’re getting ready to post those wonderful words, don’t forget to grab the Shapeshifting 13 #73 badge from the right side of the page, and insert it into your post. Remember, you have until Sunday @ 8pm Eastern Time to submit something. Have fun!
Until next time, au revoir, and SHARE THE GEEKDOM!