Hello, dearest Ghoul Friends!
Take a look around.
What do you see?
Consider this for a moment. The scenery around you can often provide wonderful inspiration for your stories. I never realized how wonderful travelling could be for my writing. My recent road trip through the southwest has provided me with numerous ideas for stories that I’m really excited about! The red dusty mountains of Arizona, the Joshua Trees across New Mexico, and the soothing, mellow, fading ombre sunsets where the sun is blinding bright and beautiful as the evening fades into this rich, deep, velvety blue and purple haze. The scenery we drove through was overly redundant much of the time, but it was beautiful and inspiring nonetheless. And it made me appreciate what we have here at home. The treeless scenes we drove past the majority of the time made me long for the lush greenery that surrounds our home much of the year, even right now in the nearing end of winter. And that longing, too, inspired me to take a look at what’s around me, to really look at it, and use the people and places around here to inspire my writing. I encourage all of you to take a gander at the scenery around you and use it to your advantage. Let’s talk about scenery for a moment. What types of scenery inspire you the most? Do you find inspiration when people watching, or more from landscapes? Tell us in the comment section below, and let’s start a conversation!
Before we get to this week’s prompt, here are a few important reminders:
- Submissions for our Mutant 750 close tomorrow (Thursday) at 8pm ET. You’ll have until Saturday at Noon ET to cast your votes for your three favorites.
- Don’t forget to keep in touch: Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, or sign up for our mailing list.
- The Shapeshifting 13 goes live every Wednesday at Noon ET. The grid will stay open until Sunday at 8:00 p.m., after which voting will open. Voting ends on Monday at 8:00 p.m., so you get about 24 hours to read and vote for your favorites pieces. Winners will be announced in a separate post on Tuesday at Noon ET. Further details can be found here.
Last week for THE SHAPESHIFTING 13 challenge, you were tasked with creating a story or poem in just 39 words. This week, in exactly 52 words, your challenge is to write a story or poem inspired by/using the following image:
- Challenge submissions must be fiction or poetry.
- Submissions must be exactly the number of words specified; no more, no less.
- Submissions must use the prompt(s) as directed.
- Submissions should be written in response to the challenge, so they shouldn’t pre-date the kickoff post.
- One submission per person.
- Make sure to give proper credit to the artist if you include the image in your post.
- Please put lengthy explanations at the end of your post, not at the beginning.
- Don’t forget to add the code for the challenge badge to your post.
- When voting, you are on the honor to not vote for your own piece.
Now, while you’re getting ready to post those wonderful words, don’t forget to grab the Shapeshifting 13 #97 badge from the right side of the page, and insert it into your post. Remember, you have until Sunday @ 8pm Eastern Time to submit something. Have fun!
Until next time, au revoir, and SHARE THE GEEKDOM!