HIEEEEEEE, Ghoul Friends!
Did you imagine that phrase in a high-pitched snarl? This probably only made sense to me, but it just played through my speakers and made me giggle.
This happens often!
I’m a nerd about different things. Recently, I started rewatching the first season of one of my favorite television shows (which is currently in its 12th season). In last week’s episode, a character came back who was in the first episode of the first season, and a song played that I recognized immediately. It was the exact same song that played when this character was in the first episode, and I was ecstatic–giddying in the corner of our couch as my husband looked at me, and asked, “What?” I proceeded to explain the above to him, and he simply said, “Only you would notice that.” I believe this is true! I’m such a nerd for this type of stuff! Yes, a lot of it is pop culture, but that is such an umbrella term. I get giddy when a song is played on a television show and it references a moment from a much, much earlier episode of that series. I am thrilled when I recognize a literary reference in a television show or movie. I giggle when I hear a song that I can reference, like I did at the beginning of this post–albeit, calling it a song infers that it’s musical, and it most certainly is not. It just makes me happy to listen to it. (Look up “Alaska HIEEEE” on YouTube for reference; warning, Explicit language.) I am the person that yells out, “Werk!!!” when a drag queen comes out dressed as Storm from the X-Men. I am the type of person that giggles and dances in the car when a song I love plays on the radio! I’m a nerd about different things, and I am far from ashamed about this. It’s who I am! Maybe you’ve noticed it, maybe you haven’t, but I have a phrase at the end of every single post: SHARE THE GEEKDOM! It means to revel in your nerdiness–bask in the glory of your geekdom, of whatever makes you happy, and never apologize for it! I believe that’s something that Grammar Ghoul Press helps accomplish. We are a collective of writing nerds! Maybe it’s something that just gives you life. Maybe it’s an interest that makes you giddy! Whatever writing does for you, share the geekdom! That’s what we’re doing here! So, aside from writing, what are you nerdy for?! Tell us in the comments below!
Now, before we get to our winner’s list, here are a few important reminders:
- Our Winter Writing Contest is in full swing! The deadline is March 13th, 2016, at Midnight ET. We have two challenges–Short Stories, 1000-3500 words & Flash Fiction, 100-1000 words! Time is running out, so get your submissions in today. There is a $10 entry fee for each story, but first place wins $100 plus publication in the Winter/Spring 2016 issue of The Ghoul’s Review.
- On the last Friday of each month, we will celebrate a fellow writer here at Grammar Ghoul Press, in a new segment we’re calling “Celebrating the Ghouls”! If you’re interested in being a part of this new project, please email email@example.com. Check out past celebrations here.
- Every quarter, we will have a new series-challenge in the Shapeshifting 13. As you know, we have “Ghoul Festival” in October and “Ghouls in the Cabin” in January. In April we’ll have “Ghouls on Rainbows”, and in July we’ll have “Ghoulish Inquiry”! We’ll have more information about these new challenge-series soon.
- Our Lair is currently taking a hiatus, as is our Mutant 750 challenge. Should either one open up, we’ll announce it here!
- The Shapeshifting 13 goes live every Wednesday at Noon ET. The grid will stay open until Sunday at 8:00 p.m., after which voting will open. Voting ends on Monday at 8:00 p.m., so you get about 24 hours to read and vote for your favorites pieces. Winners will be announced in a separate post on Tuesday at Noon ET. Further details can be found here.
Are you Ghouls ready?! The winners of the SHAPESHIFTING 13 CHALLENGE #43 are:
|1st:||Joe of Joe2Stories with Beneath the Lake. The ending of this post caught many by surprise, and it was a superb piece! When you read it and look at the image, everything fits gorgeously! Great job, Joe! Don’t forget to grab that winner’s badge!
|2nd:||Maria of Doodles and Scribbles with Throwing Pebbles. There is a sweetness that flows in this piece, and the end basks in a elegant longing feeling that will not soon leave you.|
|3rd:||TNKerr with Rockwriter. There is so much depth to this piece, and the fact that it’s achieved in so few words is amazing! TN’s choice of words is superb, and we’ll all be picking up pebbles to see what’s written on them from now on!
CONGRATULATIONS, TO OUR WINNERS!
You all did a wonderful job this week! Give yourselves a pat on the back! Check back in tomorrow for our Shapeshifting 13 Challenge #44 where your word limit will be 52 words.
Until next time, au revoir, and SHARE THE GEEKDOM!