Writing Challenge: Mutant 750
The Grammar Ghoul Mutant 750 Writing Challenge:
A weekly creative writing challenge for bloggers.
If you’re looking for our micro-fiction writing challenge, you want the Shapeshifting 13.
The Mutant 750 is a prompted creative writing challenge. Each week, we’ll give you a pair of prompts: a word and an image. We will give you the definition for the word, and you must use that definition of the word in your challenge submission. You must also incorporate the visual prompt into your submission in some way. It can be subtle (e.g., a vague reference to something in the image) or overt (e.g., the character is looking at the image).
The Mutant 750 kicks off every Sunday at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). Along with announcing the previous week’s winners, we will announce the coming week’s prompts. The Inlinkz grid will be open for your challenge submissions, so you can link your piece as soon as it’s ready. The grid will stay open until Thursday at 8:00 p.m. ET, after which community voting will open and you can read and vote for your three favourite submissions until Saturday at Noon.
The challenge schedule and rules are listed below. If you have any questions, send us an email.
Mutant 750 Weekly Challenge Schedule
|Sunday @ 8pm:||Previous week’s winners are announced
Current week’s prompts are revealed
Grid opens for submissions
|Thursday @ 8pm:||Grid closes to submissions
|Saturday @ Noon:||Voting closes|
- Challenge submissions must be fiction or poetry.
- Submissions must be 750 words or less.
- Submissions must use the prompts as specified.
- Submissions should be written in response to the challenge, so they should not pre-date the kickoff post.
- One submission per person.
- Please put lengthy explanations at the end of your post, not at the beginning.
- Don’t forget to add the code for the challenge badge to your post.
- And don’t forget to have fun!